Friday, November 30, 2007

Retirement

a Jesus thought...
"If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you. I will talk to the Father, and he'll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can't take him in because it doesn't have eyes to see him, doesn't know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you! (John 14:15-17)

a Godly thought...
Jesus knows that it is only through actual obedience that a man can become liberated to believe. (p72 Bonhoeffer)

a leading thought...
Leaders who make it a practice to draw out the thoughts and ideas of their team and who are receptive even to bad news will be properly informed. (p84 Newman)
a Dave thought...
It was pleasure yesterday to be a part of the retirement service for our Chief Secretary. John & Judith Jeffrey have been incredibly faithful to God and the Salvation Army for 37 years and 10 months and finish their years of service with many accolades. As one who has only signed my officers covenant just 9 days ago I admire the lives of long standing officers even more, as I have noticed many seem to sign the covenant of life long service with good intentions but few seem to make it. They explained the journey has not always been easy but with God they have been able to be true to their calling.

It was great at the service to hear stories of them taking homeless children back to their house at night, picking up hitchhikers and being incredibly generous to the poor. The covenant is all about those things and I trust God will also help me to be faithful through the coming years regardless of the situations that come my way.

Just a thought.

No comments: