Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Youth at Risk

a Jesus thought...
Jesus summed it all up when he cried out, "Whoever believes in me, believes not just in me but in the One who sent me. Whoever looks at me is looking, in fact, at the One who sent me. I am Light that has come into the world so that all who believe in me won't have to stay any longer in the dark. (John 12:25-26)

a Godly thought...
The life of discipleship is not the hero-worship we would pay to a good master, but obedience to the Son of God. (p66 Bonhoeffer)

a leading thought...
Keep your dreams vividly before you at all times. Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goals. (p76 Newman)
a Dave thought...
Yesterday I met at Cummins (a diesel company) in Scoresby to finalise a new program for "Youth at Risk". The program is part of the VCAL (hands on subjects) stream at Bayswater Secondary College and includes a partnership with a youth worker from the Salvation Army as 15-17 year-olds have an opportunity to build go-karts and learn about the automotive industry through a corporate company. Andy Philp who has set up our Youth Workers Network has pioneered this and it looks like it will be great for not only the 3 partners involved but especially the young guys who are struggling with normal school life.
As we sat around the board room table yesterday it was one comment that really got my attention as the principal from the College commented, "youth at risk for her included all young people as all teens are only one failed relationship or bad decision away from being at risk." This lady speaks from experience as I found out later that she has been involved at this lower socio-economic school for over twenty years and has seen many young lives ruined over her time.
I now consider many of the young people I have journeyed with and know that it was a certain moment like their parents telling them they are separating or a fight with a step dad that tells them to leave home or a friend that suicides that changes them from one who many would call normal to a youth at risk.
So no matter which teens we are working with it is important to realise they are all in need of support, encouragement and positive role models as we are all vulnerable in this journey of life and need partnerships to help us get through the tough times that come our way.


Just a thought.



1 comment:

jan magor said...

Amen Dave, my we NEVER assume that our kids are all travelling along ok. Let's always invest time, love, prayer and faith in our youth.