Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Come or Go?

a Jesus thought...
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (John 11:28-30)

a Godly thought...
Jesus knows only one possibility: simply surrender and obedience, not interpreting it or applying it, but doing and obeying it. (p175 Bonhoeffer)

a leading thought...
Nehemiah evaluated the problem in the light of the Word of God and called upon the leaders to conform to His revealed will. (p83 Barber)
a Dave thought...
As I was in City Temple twice in the last week I could not help but notice the verse on the wall in massive letters, Come to me, all ye who labour and are burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 28:11) As I was considering the relevance of the verse to Melbourne 614 it makes total sense as Brendan Nottle and his team are continually working and serving around the clock 24/7 to help spread the gospel across the inner city.

I also imagined when the verse was originally painted on the wall as a large backdrop for the platform, we as army were engaged in full on mission constantly on the front line. As guys like Herbert Booth (1862-1926) led the Australasian Territory they were continually innovating, travelling and doing anything possible to bring others to Jesus. Worship meetings make a lot more sense when we are engaged in active mission then when we take time out to connect with God - it is empowering and does rest our soul. If we never engage in mission and only turn up on Sundays we would more likely need a verse such as ''Go into all the world".
So if you are turning up on Sundays and the worship service doesn't do it for you, try ministering to others in need 24/7 and it will somehow make a lot more sense. You see the mission should be our focus and the Sunday meeting was a chance to rest the weary soul, but somehow we seem to have made the meeting the focus and we now rest during the week.
Just a thought.

No comments: