Saturday, November 21, 2009

All Melbourne Matters

a Biblical thought...
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:19-20)

a Book thought...
When communicating across generation gaps an unresponsive audience haven't necessarily rejected the substance of the message - just the style of its communication. Visual and verbal are both required in a multimodal, prove-it, walk-the-talk culture. (p211)
a Dave thought...
Here are some stats and quotes I thought were worth posting from All Melbourne Matters (Feb 2009)...


  • About 300,000 (8.3%) of people in Melbourne attend Church on a typical Sunday

  • About 144,000 (4%) of the 1.7million (48%) of under 34s are at Church on a typical Sunday

  • 53% of attenders are over 55 years (including 33% of church leaders)

  • Melbourne population is increasing by 180,000pa while church attendance is declining by about 5000pa

    "While some of the Y-generation and younger are highly motivated and committed to social justice issues and engagement in society and institutions such as the Church, they are the exception. Many young people are not willing to sit in meetings that are not interactive, and are disinclined to accept being told what they should believe."

    "Young people in Melbourne are looking for people's lives and actions to reflect what they say (or preach). Before being interested or willing to commit to a movement or message they are looking to see what the end product looks like. To engage young people in the future, the Church that preaches a Gospel of love and unity will need to have dealt with division and unforgiveness in the structures and relationships."
    (Quotes from Christian Research Assoc. Youth Spirituality Seminar 2007)

    Just a thought.

No comments: