Thursday, January 10, 2008

Battleship

a Biblical thought...
Jesus went on: "Does anyone bring a lamp home and put it under a washtub or beneath the bed? Don't you put it up on a table or on the mantel? We're not keeping secrets, we're telling them; we're not hiding things, we're bringing them out into the open. (Mark 4:21-22)

a Book thought...
It's ironic that the church is seen as a boys' club when Scripture calls the church the bride of Christ. (p122 Kimball)

a Dave thought...
In 1967 Milton Bradley issued their version of the game of Battleship. Rather than relying on pencil and paper, as per the original, the box included two plastic trays, pegs, and plastic ships, and printed instructions. As may be seen in the illustration on the box, secret deployment of the ships is accomplished using the plastic models on the horizontal base of the playing surface, while recording of "shots" and "hits" are accomplished with pegs placed into the cells of the vertical matrix.
When I returned home from the office yesterday my Noah, my five year-old son was very keen on me to play battleships with him. While we were immersed in the 40 minute game, which he won, I kept having thoughts back to my childhood when I thirty years earlier played the same game. It confirms to me that not everything in the world needs to continually be updated and turned into technology. As like most things in life if it is truly good it will always last the test of time.

Just a thought.

No comments: