Sunday, October 26, 2008

Too much to say

a Biblical thought...
Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. (Mark 3:13)

a Book thought...
There is no one way that God develops people. (p55 Logan & Miller)
a Dave thought... Leadershipjournal.net
There is an axiom I have found most helpful: Let the singers sing and the speakers speak. God has given us each unique gifts to serve him and edify the church. We should allow one another to exercise our gifts accordingly. Besides, most of us never want to hear a speaker start singing!
Rather than the spoken word, I believe the way I encourage and communicate to the congregation is through the songs I've selected. The songs help me to quickly connect the congregation to the presence of God, and then I can fade into the background. Apart from a few clear words of encouragement and prayer, nothing more is needed from me.

This article is from the worship leader at Saddleback talks about the problem of worship leaders speaking too much as is often the case. On a few occasions I have been privileged to be in congregations where Graham Kendrick has led the worship and was at first astonished that he hardly said a word throughout the whole service. Then it hit me that there was no need as God was leading us all into worship and there was no need for Graham to get in the way.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree, some days we get several mini sermons when often the words, the music and the holy spirt minister to us..