Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chaplaincy

a Biblical thought...
When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. (Deut 8:10-11)

a Book thought...
When leaders do not say no when they want to, they wind up doing things they do not want to do. They can grow to loathe themselves for this lack of assertion. (p119)
a Dave thought...
It was a real honour just to be at the Whittlesea staging area on Monday night as a Salvation Army Chaplain. As I offered some encouragement, listened to the stories, helped serve meals and coffees it was amazing to see the commitment and courage of hundreds of firefighters and volunteers. Amidst all the conversations I came across a few people I knew from many years ago, here are some words of encouragement I received from Cam Mackay on Facebook

“Dave. Good to see you last night at the Whittlesea staging area. I wish we could have talked longer. I can't tell you how much of a difference even a brief catch up like that made me feel, and I assure you - more than you can know - that you will have made a real difference in the lives of a lot of people. That chaplains tabbard was comfort in itself. Don't stop when the fire trucks go away mate, keep on following up with people - I know you will. Thank you man, thanks."

Just a thought.

No comments: