Friday, June 27, 2008

Five Lifestyle Pillars

a Biblical thought...
Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you. (Eph 4:31-32)

a Book thought...
The Bridger generation may be the one in which multiethnic churches will become a reality. (p183 McIntosh)

a Dave thought...
According to recent figures released by Melbourne-based Lifelounge Urban Market Research (UMR), Generation Y consumption - people born roughly between 1980 and 1995 is focused around what he dubs the "five lifestyle pillars:" entertainment ($151 per week), fashion ($55 p/w), sport ($25 p/w), travel ($24 p/w) and music ($11 p/w)."(Their) focus is on getting things: the big screen colour televisions, the technology and having the experiences all on tap.""When I'm going out I justify spending money by saying that I'm having experiences, and learning, and I'm going to be remembering this forever, and I'm not always going to be able to do this, so I might as well enjoy it while I'm young," he says."My plan is to travel and then come back and start saving for the bigger things."Home, car ... I see it happening later in my life."

You may want to check how much you spend on the five lifestyle pillars. We all have our priorities when it comes to where we spend our money, but it seems this generation are the biggest spenders so far. Throughout history there has always been through a link to high level consumerism and a lack of faith. As Gen Y's are open to spirituality I will be interested to see if the five lifestyle pillars takes this generation away from God or if somehow the they can somehow embrace God and the pillars altogether.

Just a thought.

No comments: