Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Is Google making us stupid?

a Biblical thought...
Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (Eph 1:4)

a Book thought...
Busters lose interest very quickly, and churches that hope to reach them must consider this seriously or there will be fewer Busters in the seats next Sunday. (p138 McIntosh)

a Dave thought... from the Atlantic Monthly
Carr's basic point is that the Internet might be rewiring our brains, cutting off our attention spans and leaving us easily distracted by whatever is playing, or some conversation in the background. Or even suddenly jumping up and remembering that we had to do something earlier.
"Over the past few years I've had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory," Carr writes. "My mind isn't going--so far as I can tell--but it's changing. I'm not thinking the way I used to think. I can feel it most strongly when I'm reading. Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I'd spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That's rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I'm always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle ... I'm not the only one. When I mention my troubles with reading to friends and acquaintances--literary types, most of them--many say they're having similar experiences. The more they use the Web, the more they have to fight to stay focused on long pieces of writing. Some of the bloggers I follow have also begun mentioning the phenomenon. Scott Karp, who writes a blog about online media, recently confessed that he has stopped reading books altogether."

I must confess to reading less books in the last 5 years and spending more time online. It seems with the world at our fingertips maybe we know more but have lost some depth along the way.

Just a thought.

No comments: