Friday, June 6, 2008

Making the world a better place

a Biblical thought...
In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life. (1 Cor 2:14-15)

a Book thought...
People who believe in the resurrection, in God making a whole new world in which everything will be set right at last, are unstoppably motivated to work for that new world in the present. (p226 Wright)
a Dave thought...
A few weeks ago I was playing golf, and as per normal I often play with a couple of guys I have never met before until I arrive at the first tee. As I don't spend a lot of time with people outside of the Salvo world I always enjoy just meeting and chatting with random guys. Because golf is a four hour game it is a great chance to get to know people quite well by the end of a round, even though it might end up being around twenty two minute conversations throughout the afternoon.

During this particular conversation we were enquiring about each others occupations and per normal this man was fascinated with my job as a Salvation Army Officer. When I asked him further what he thought of the work I was involved in and why he admired the Salvos, he simply said "you guys are cool", I asked why and he responded, "because you are making the world a better place."

I thought this was a classic response that sums up what we are about from an average non-religious Australian. So maybe next time we want to do a bit of PR we should use the slogan...

The Salvation Army - Making the world a better place.

Just a thought.

No comments: