Thursday, October 22, 2009

Prayer

a Biblical thought...
Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." (John 18:36)

a Book thought...
Jesus chose to advance his work primarily on the shoulders of ordinary people who live in the real world of family and business and community. (p31)
a Dave thought...
Yesterday I was reminded several times about the importance of prayer. Although I obviously believe that prayer is essential in a believers life, sometimes it takes God to remind me through different events to get the message. The first reminder was when I caught up with a mentor, Graham Gourd in the morning, as we were discussing church life and what things are really important he kept coming back to prayer. He reminded me of the book "Fresh wind, fresh fire" by Jim Cymbala. I began to then search for a copy of this book and when I go into the office read some of the pages again. It would have been ten years ago since I read this amazing book and God spoke to me again through these powerful thoughts about how prayer can change your life and your church.

After those two reminders I thought God had got his message through but just to make sure I was also reminded at MSB rehearsal last night. Bandmaster Ken Waterworth shared about how he was challenged through the words of Commissioner Vic Poke last week in Tassie about doing your best for God. The result is there will now be a weekly prayer meeting at 6.30pm before each rehearsal for the bandsman that are able to attend. So prayer is something I certainly was reminded about yesterday and I want to make sure that I pray about everything as it is through prayer that we truly discover God's agenda.

Just a thought.

No comments: