Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ironman

a Biblical thought...
The whole congregation of believers was united as one—one heart, one mind! They didn't even claim ownership of their own possessions. No one said, "That's mine; you can't have it." They shared everything. The apostles gave powerful witness to the resurrection of the Master Jesus, and grace was on all of them. (Acts 4:32-33)

a Book thought...
An army of sanctified, loving, selfless, humble, passionate, zealous, compassionate, active young people - will change the world. It's inevitable. (p219 Munn)
a Dave thought...
I have had a dream for over 10 years now to compete in an Ironman, and tomorrow as we begin furlough, we are heading up to Port Macquarie for two weeks where I will compete in my first attempt at this insane event. The event began after a 1978 awards ceremony for a Hawaii running race, a debate ensues among competitors about who is more fit -- swimmers, runners or other athletes. One of the participants, Navy Commander John Collins and his wife Judy, dream up a race to settle the argument. They propose combining three existing races together, to be completed in succession: the Waikiki Roughwater Swim (2.4 miles), the Around-Oahu Bike Race (112 miles, originally a two-day event) and the Honolulu Marathon (26.2 miles). "Whoever finishes first we’ll call the Ironman," said Collins. Fifteen men participate in the initial event held on February 18; 12 complete the race, led by the first Ironman, Gordon Haller. His winning time: 11 hours, 46 minutes and 58 seconds.

On April 6 I have entered the Port Macquarie Ironman which comprises of a 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and concludes with a 42.2km run. If you are really keen to know how I am surviving on April 6 go to ironmanoz.com and put in my race no. 299 and you can follow my progress over the 14 hours I'm expecting to be out on the course:) As I have trained solidly for the last 16 months I am hoping to get through in under the 17 hours cut off time. As the event begins Sunday April 6 at 6.30am and closes at 11.30pm you will realise I have a long day to look forward to.


Hoping to blog most days while on furlough but depending on access to the internet I may not be an everyday blogger over the next two weeks.

Just a thought.

5 comments:

jsi said...

Exceptional!
Have an amazing comepetition with yourself and your own "best time". You are going to be covering so much ground and water with your running/biking/swimming.

What has been your longest run these past 2 weeks? Do you train with all three events each day?

All I can say is you definitely deserve another pair of shoes at the end of this Ironman.

Rock steady - give it all you've got!

Can you give some blogger advice: I've tried to copy and paste my url for my Facebook profile onto eblogger and have been hopelessly unsuccessful. You on the other hand have not been...can you give a tip or two, how do you do it?

fee said...

I am so excited about this. at this point in my life, i'll live out my ironwoman dream through you. again, best wishes. Can't wait to see you on the web on april 6th. will try and check in after my preach at church.

sye said...

hey, in regard to the facebook question, to creat a link to your facebook account you will need a facebook badge, to get one just go to the very bottom of your profile and look for the link, or go here: http://www.facebook.com/badges.php from the badges page your should be able to set up a link to your facebook account.

i hope this helps. cheers... - sye :)

jsi said...

Fabulous! Thank you so much! it worked like a charm.

Anonymous said...

16 months training? WOW! Makes a 12 hour solo mountain bike race look like a walk in the park ... swimming ... cycling ... then running!

All the best.