Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Covenant

a Biblical thought...
The Twenty-four Elders seated before God on their thrones fell to their knees, worshiped, and sang, We thank you, O God, Sovereign-Strong, Who Is and Who Was. You took your great power and took over—reigned!

a Book thought...
Sabbath is taking a day a week to remind myself that I did not make the world and that it will continue to exist without my efforts. (p117 Bell)
a Dave thought...
CALLED BY GOD to proclaim the Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ as an officer of The Salvation Army I BIND MYSELF TO HIM IN THIS SOLEMN COVENANT to love and serve him supremely all my days, to live to win souls and make their salvation the first purpose of my life, to care for the poor, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable, and befriend those who have no friends, to maintain the doctrines and principles of The Salvation Army, and, by God's grace to prove myself a worthy officer.

I was reflecting on my Officers Covenant the other day which I signed 9 months ago and came to the part that reads...to care for the poor, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable, and befriend those who have no friends. While I strongly believe this, unfortunately it is not often I actually carry this out. I can use the excuse that is because I currently hold a THQ appointment but really we all make time to do things we want to in life. It seems that we use most of our time managing staff, leading teams, and in my case organising events more than anything else. Obviously we still hope that in turn that our ministry will fulfill the five areas above but we don't seem to engage personally. Well today I am going down to assist with the Byways lunch at Ringwood Salvos as it is what God requires of us but also knowing that I am being true to my covenant.

Just a thought.

3 comments:

armybarmy said...

I'm with you on this Dave... this part of our covenant isn't so much about the type of 'work' we do as it is about the way we choose to live our lives.... some great food for thought here in where we live and who we hang out with being part of the recipe to live life with the poor rather than serve them when we are at work... keep on struggling for Kingdom come...
D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree totally.

Don't forget that even at THQ there are people with tremendous needs. That building isn't full of Christians, there are those who are searching for something more. Christians and non-Christians alike are often struggling financially, who feel unloved are being abused and often have no-one to talk too.

Great to hear that you're reaching out to others by helping at other Corps... don't forget the need in your own area of ministry. God will use you mightly once you build relationships with those you see each and every day and move beyond, "Hi, how are you? Good thanks!"

- M -

JDK said...

Certainly the situation that we find ourselves in from day to day has a significant influence on the nature of our ministry. As someone who has recently taken up a headquarters appointment, I can see how easily one can get trapped in an office. I'm intentionally spending regular time at our social service sites to help stay connected with this reality. I know that it has been suggested before that all THQ/DHQ officers could spend a part day each month at a ground-level service. I think it would be worth it. JDK