Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Ordinary John

a Biblical thought...
Don't quit, even if it costs you your life. Stay there believing. I have a Life-Crown sized and ready for you. (Revelation 2:10)

a Book thought...
We have to embrace the Bible as the wild, uncensored, passionate account it is of people experiencing the living God. (p63 Bell)
a Dave thought...
Yesterday I arrived a few minutes late to a meeting I was invited to attend about Surrender, the conference attached to UNOH. As I took the only seat left around the table, a couple of the participants shook my hand and made me feel welcome, one of whom introduced himself as John. As I started browsing through the notes given to me I read through the list of attendees and suddenly realised I was not sitting next to no ordinary John, this was John Smith!

Twenty years ago I heard John for the first time at the Belgrave Heights Youth Convention and was blown away by his counter cultural message, so much so that for the next few years of my life I bought his books and listened to his tapes. John Smith is an international author and speaker and founder of the God's Squad, an evangelical motorcycle club. As I managed to grab a few minutes afterwards I told him the admiration I'd have for him for many years, and he humbly replied ''I have come from the same place you did brother''. He went on to explain that he also had a Methodist background like William Booth and lives his life to see the marginalised accepted and transformed by the living God. On the car on the way back to the office I realised how great it is that there are faithful servants who last the test of time and are still as passionate as ever to see the gospel spread across this world.

Just a thought.

No comments: