Saturday, August 1, 2009

Direct Trade Coffee

a Biblical thought...
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)

a Book thought...
To retain the blessing you must strive to live in the same spirit of submission, obedience, and consecration to God as that which you entered into its enjoyment. (p65)
a Dave thought...
This week I was in Adelaide an had what I believe was my best coffee ever! I know that is a massive call but I was taken to 91 Osmond Road, Eastwood to a new coffee boutique called BAR NINE. After having my first skinny latte, I had to go back for a second coffee and met Ian the amazing barrista. I soon discovered this was no run of the mill cafe as he educated me about Direct Trade as opposed to Fair Trade. So after several minutes of conversation and purchasing a bag of beans I was converted, I am now a Direct Trade man and if ever you are in Adelaide do yourself a favour and visit BAR NINE. www.barnine.blogspot.com

One distinction between fair trade and direct trade is that direct trade roasters pay a premium price above the fair trade price for high quality specialty coffee. Whereas fair trade certification assures that farmers will receive a minimum price, any margin above the minimum cannot be guaranteed by fair trade organizations because they do not negotiate these margins. Roasters do. Direct trade specialty roasters such as Intelligentsia seek premium coffee quality that brings a high price on the retail market, and they generally pay farmers 25% or more above the guaranteed fair trade minimum, rewarding farmers who live in the right climate and develop the right skills necessary for growing premium coffee.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Does this mean Danielle Strickland will have to make a whole bunch of new buttons?

Matt K

Charles said...

Sounds a like a really good step forward..