Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Outreach Van

a Biblical thought...
Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling. (Zechariah 2:13)

a Book thought...
It doesn't have to cost a lot to have special times with the children. (p146)a Dave thought...
About a month ago I decided to read through my officers covenant which I signed nearly two years ago. It reads...

CALLED BY GOD to proclaim the Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ as an officer of The Salvation Army I BIND MYSELF TO HIM IN THIS SOLEMN COVENANT to love and serve him supremely all my days, to live to win souls and make their salvation the first purpose of my life,to care for the poor, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable, and befriend those who have no friends, to maintain the doctrines and principles of The Salvation Army, and, by God's grace to prove myself a worthy officer.

It was upon reflection on this that made me ask the question was I really fulfilling this covenant as I serve in this current appointment. I prayed about this and responded by contacting Melbourne 614 and asking that they put me on the volunteers roster on the nightly outreach van. So last night I spent a few hours with the 614 team driving around to a dozen different locations in the CBD serving food and drinks to those sleeping on the streets. It was a reminder once again of the extraordinary need in our city and who we are called to serve as Salvos.

Just a thought.

No comments: