Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cameras

a Biblical thought...
It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process. (Hebrews 10:13)

a Book thought...
The poor and marginalised can be wonderful guides and mentors who are able to lead us out of the traps of hyperreality. (p193 Sayers)
a Dave thought...
The other night I dropped into my local Caltex service station just after 10pm to discover the young store assistant mopping the floors. As I was waiting for him so I could pay for my fuel, I asked him "do you mop the floors often?" He replied "yeah every night", I responded "surely they don't need to be done that often?" "They don't, but as my boss watches everything I do on that video camera, I have no choice". We exchanged a few more thoughts as he explained how his boss at home can log on to his PC and view the store to make sure his floors are being mopped before close.

More and more, accountability with managers and bosses is being done through equipment such as cameras and the Internet. Employees are certainly being watched more than ever, in fact all of us are. It won't be long until most of our lives are being recorded somewhere just in case someone wants to know what we are up to.

Just a thought.

No comments: