Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When big guys fall

a Biblical thought...
So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

a Book thought...
Passages like the one in James where he says that the only "religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress" convicted me at a deep, deep level. (p109 Hybels)

a Dave thought...
I met Danny Guglielmuci over 10 years ago in Adelaide and have only the utmost respect for him as a pastor and leader. About years ago I met his son Mike at a Planetshakers event and too was equally impressed. Mike is an amazing musician and evangelist and God has used this guy to touch thousands of lives. When I heard of his cancer two years ago I like many felt for this guy and prayed that he would be healed. As we have all heard this week Mike has psychiatric problems and sadly has faked cancer in order to cover up other issues in his life.``I'm so sorry, not just for lying to my friends and my family even about a sickness, but I'm sorry for a life of saying I'm something I'm not ... from this day on I'm telling the truth.''

Mike is 28 and a very gifted Christian leader but like all the big guys when they fall, they fall real hard. I pray that Mike makes the long journey back to getting his life and health back in order, I pray for all the young guys across this nation who are angry and bitter because of their admiration (be it sometimes unhealthy) for guys like Mike that they see a God who is bigger than this. Lastly I pray that God will help us each live authentic lives and not try put on facades to cover up who we really are.

Just a thought.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first read this, I was deeply saddened... and then convicted. I love Mike's song "Healer", and it's disappointing to hear that the story behind the song is not really true. But then I say to myself, how many times do I fail to live up to the words of the songs I've written.

In particular this week, it's been hard for me to sing "I surrender..." with all its specific-ness.

I will pray for Mike.

Anonymous said...

I've long held the view that Christians don't tell lies, they sing them. If we consider the words that we sing on Sunday we too would feel that we are in real need of a 'Healer'. I reckon the song is still true and authentic it is only now we realise what the deep issues he was singing about. I think he's been a dill but next time we sing words such as; "giving up my all to follow just to do my Masters will" think about what we are really prepared to give up and if we can't do it (or really want to) don't sing it. Get on your knees and pray that one day you will.

I don't know Mike or really understand but let's be careful.
Matt R

Anonymous said...

An answer to prayer....he has been healed!

Anonymous said...

This is a timely reminder to all of us to not get caught up in the messenger rather than the message as so often can happen particularly with vulnerable people. It is also a reminder to only sing and say those things that we are truly living out in our own lives. It was only this week at our cell group that we were duscussing this subject. Too many are inclined to put people up on pedestals only to be let down even by some minor indiscretion. There is only one perfect One and it is Him that we need to focus our eyes on - it is Him that we need to come before in honest prayer and confession. My prayer for this man is that he will be healed physically, mentally and spiritually. God has the power to do it, let us trust Him to do so.

Anonymous said...

I at first, had a self righteous anger, when I heard about Mike's big fall and then I realised I always have a self righteous anger when I am confronted with my own sin.

Anonymous said...

He is a con and a disgrace. I have no pity for him. Hang him out to dry.
Mike