Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tired Teens

a Biblical thought...
Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor. (James 3:17-18)

a Book thought...
Part of living with God’s perspective is remembering that the people you bump up against every day are ‘in process.’ (p28 Hybels)
a Dave thought...from The Age
Sleep-deprived teenagers are at greater risk of high blood pressure and heart attacks - and their mobile phones, computer games and iPods could be to blame, research suggests.
A study of teens aged 13 to 16 found those who slept less than 6½ hours a night were up to three times more likely to have elevated blood pressure.
Researchers said the "technological invasion of the bedroom" was responsible for creating a generation of sleep-starved youngsters.
Having some connection with Australian teenagers I have certainly noticed that after hours entertainment has changed a lot over the last dozen or so years. Back when I was a teen as I didn't have a phone in my room there was no way I could connect with anyone before I went to sleep. I'd occasionally write my girlfriend a letter but more than likely if I got a copy of the latest MAD magazine I'd certainly feel privileged and entertained for the night. I now notice that most teens have mobile phones so they will SMS late into the evening, also computers and those that are on-line will be on MSN, and of course the standard TV, with sometimes Foxtel just in case they didn't have enough options already. Not a wonder teens are getting less sleep, it seems connection to the world never stops.

Just a thought.

No comments: